University of Technology, Jamaica - Bachelor of Science in Applied Science
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Applied Science focuses on applied practical scientific methods. All three (3) specializations are highly analytical in nature and involve strong communication skills and use of knowledge-based systems. The course of study is designed to produce graduates who are equipped to contribute at the planning and research level. They will be able to collect, analyze and interpret data and findings in a variety of fields. The graduates of the course will demonstrate an awareness of the importance of integrity, ethics and professionalism in the execution of their profession.
On the completion of the course, graduates will be well rounded individuals with the ability to (depending on their option):
1. Communicate with supervisors, colleagues and teammates on Science of the Environment
matters and on Industrial analysis.
2. Lead teams responsible for research design and planning Environmental projects and teams
engaged in industrial analysis.
3. Initiate collaboration on acquisition of results to achieve practical solutions to environmental
and industrial problems.
4. Exercise professionalism and expertise as Environmental scientists and Industrial Analytical Chemists.
5. Demonstrate expertise in conducting procedures to ensure Quality Assurance.
6. Benefit from the opportunities available for graduate studies locally and abroad.
7. Provide a foundation for entry level forensic chemists and will expose students to the various methods used in the analysis of physical, chemical and biological evidence during criminal investigations.
The course of study generally accepts applicants for admission in August of each academic year; however, a January start date can be considered based on interest. The course of study has three (3) specializations- Industrial and Analytical Chemistry, Forensic Chemistry and Environmental Science. Students choose any one (1) of the three specializations.
The course has a duration of 4 years (consisting of 8 semesters) on a fulltime basis. Each academic year consists of 2 semesters lasting for a duration of 30 weeks.