BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
|The Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences degree programme was formulated to meet
various needs, namely: provide education in the biological sciences for conservation, protection
and improvement of ecosystems for the advancement of plant and animal life, and to solve
related problems. Graduates should be able to pursue the enhancement of agricultural,
biomedical, environmental and industrial endeavours in Jamaica, the Caribbean and the world.
This programme is expected to bring to the awareness of students an in-depth appreciation of
the beauty of the natural world in which we live, and of the relationships among and between
living and non-living things.
This degree equips students with quality education in the biological sciences; prepares students
for entry into medical, dental and graduate schools; prepares students for employment and
entrepreneurship in research facilities and industrial organizations. The Bachelor of Science in
Biological Sciences degree programme consists of 132-136 credits, broken down as follows: 64
credits of core courses, 23 credits of cognates, 6-10 credits of biology electives and 39 credits of
general education requirements.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the end of this programme, students should be able to:
• Devise strategies for the protection, conservation, and improvement of ecosystems.
• Demonstrate proficiency in classification and identification of organisms in the
• Understand key biological processes and their roles in living organisms.
• Demonstrate an understanding of laboratory techniques relevant to the biological
• Design, conduct and present research in a select biological sub-discipline.
• Critically analyse and proffer solutions to biologically related problems.
• Appreciate the wonders and complexity of the ecosystems.
• Apply knowledge and skills gained for the enhancement of agricultural, biomedical,
environmental and industrial endeavours in Jamaica, the Caribbean and the world.
- Listing ID: 4155
- Institution Category: Universities
- Institution Type: Private
- Field of Study: NATURAL SCIENCES
- Awarding Body: Northern Caribbean University
- Qualification Level:
- Education Sector: Higher Education
- ISCED Code: 05 Natural Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics- 051 Biological & Related Sciences- 0511 Biology
- Qualification Developer: Northern Caribbean University
- Quality Assurance Body: UCJ
Bachelor Associate of Science in Biological Sciences: A minimum of grade III in CSEC or grade
C in GCE O’ Level passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and one (1) other
subject. Students who do not have a pass in Biology or Chemistry will be matriculated into the
Department after successfully completing BIOL101, 102 Principles of Biology I, II and CHEM111,
112 Intro to Chemistry I, II with no grade lower than “C”.
- Number of Credits: 132-136