University of Technology, Jamaica - Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology
The Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology course of study aims to produce graduates with the requisite competency skills needed to perform as proficient Medical Technologists at the entry level of health profession. The curriculum provides training in the main professional disciplines namely Clinical Chemistry, Haematology, Histopatholog, Immunohaematology and Medical Microbiology with emphasis on developing professional ethics and attitudes while affording currency in knowledge, methodologies and quality assurance principles.
Graduates may find employment in private or public laboratories in Jamaica and the wider Caribbean region. Additionally, graduates have found careers as Research Assistants in the areas of Medical and Nutrition as well as laboratory personnel in the food and beverage industry.
The course is four(4) years in duration, organized on a full-time basic comprising eight(8) semesters spanning four(4) academic years.
- Listing ID: 4377
- Institution Category: Universities
- Institution Type: Public
- Field of Study: Medical Technology
- Awarding Body: University of Technology, Jamaica
- Qualification Level:
- Education Sector: Higher Education
- ISCED Code: 09 Health and Welfare- 091 Health- 0914 Medical Diagnostic and Treatment Technology
- Qualification Developer: School of Allied Health and Wellness, University of Technology, Jamaica
- Quality Assurance Body: University Council of Jamaica (UCJ) and Council of Professionals Supplementary to Medicine (CPSM)
A minimum of five(5) GCE O\'Level A, B, & C or CXC CSEC, General Proficiency Levels 1, 2, 3 since June 1998 in Mathematics, English Language, Biology, Chemistry plus one other approved subject.
Pass a final selection interview.
Graduates who do not meet the minimum entry requirements as stated but who have relevant professional experience may still be eligible for admission in accordance with the University\'s regulations on academic equivalency. Interested persons should contact the Medical Technology Division to access their eligibility.
- Number of Credits: 142