University of Technology, Jamaica - Bachelor of Science in Science and Education
The course is designed to prepare competent, Science and/or Mathematics teachers for the education system at the secondary level (CSEC level). Students will be competent in two subject areas.
The four-year Degree in Science and Education will:
1. Facilitate the student teacher’s acquisition of skills and attitudes for the effective teaching of Science and/or Mathematics the Secondary level (CSEC).
2. Assist student teachers in developing an awareness and understanding of the importance of science education in national development.
3. Help student teachers conduct education or scientific research, apply scientific knowledge, and use scientific skills for the solution of problems.
4. Train student teachers to appreciate and use technology that will enhance the teaching and learning process.
5. Prepare teachers of science subjects who will provide the appropriate quality leadership, administration and supervision of science courses of study in the secondary education system.
6. Provide prospective teachers with skills in curriculum planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of science courses.
7. Provide opportunities for student teachers to grow in confidence as independent learners and develop the attitudes and behavioural standards essential for good citizenship.
The course of Study generally accepts applicants for admission in August of each academic year but based on interest and application numbers a January start date can be considered.The course has a duration of 4 years (consisting of 8 semesters) on a fulltime basis. Each academic year consists of 2 semesters lasting for a duration of 30 weeks
In semester 8 students will venture on teaching practicum exercise in a secondary school for the entire semester, students will not do other modules at this time. Students will also conduct their integrative study (action research) at this time.