University of Technology, Jamaica - Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
The Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering Degree aims to provide its students with high quality, affordable, practice-oriented education, which satisfies the mechanical engineering needs of Jamaica and the wider Caribbean. The program prepares professional engineers of the future involved in the design, construction, implementation and operation of clean and/or zero-waste technologies and in the design and analysis of programmable/flexible manufacturing systems. Theoretical aspects of the course will therefore provide the scientific, mathematical, and experimental and workshop competencies needed for these tasks while developing within the student the ability to relate to the society for whom these developments are being effected. Through the industrial cell model and industrial placements, the student will be exposed to engineering practice as well as the non-scientific factors that influence everyday engineering operation.
The course of study will also equip students with the necessary skills to conduct research, and to develop, design and analyze mechanical processes and equipment. The graduates of the Bachelor of Engineering(Mech.) course of study will also be able to deliver products efficiently and safely within market specifications, with minimum environmental impact. The programme outcomes instills in learners the following:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering.
- Ability to design and conduct experiments as well as analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to function in a multidisciplinary team.
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
- Recognition of the need for an ability to engage in lifelong learning.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern mechanical engineering tools necessary to practice professionally.
- An ability to analyze, design and adapt operational and maintenance techniques to satisfy local conditions.
- Listing ID: 4436
- Institution Category: Universities
- Institution Type: Public
- Field of Study: Engineering
- Awarding Body: University of Technology, Jamaica
- Qualification Level:
- Education Sector: Higher Education
- ISCED Code: 07 Engineering, Manufacturing and Construction- 071 Engineering and Engineering Trades- 0715 Mechanics and Metal Trades
- Qualification Developer: School of Engineering, University of Technology, Jamaica
- Quality Assurance Body: University Council of Jamaica (UCJ) and Professional Engineers Registration Board (PERB)
1.Five (5) CSEC/GCE O\'Level English Language, Mathematics, Physics and 2 other (Technical or Science related) subjects, PLUS GCE A\'Level Mathematics, Physics and one other relevant subject OR Six(6) CAPE Units including Physics Units I and II and 2 other units in related subjects. OR
2. Successful completion of year one of the Diploma in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with a minimum GPA of 3.05. OR
3. Successful completion of UTech Diploma in Engineering, or equivalent in field of study(for Advanced Placement) with minimum GPA of 2.7. OR
4. Successful Degree in Engineering from Montego Bay, Portmore, or Knox Community College with a minimum GPA of 2.7; may enter the programme at level 2. Applicants from any other approved institutions will be assessed based on individual merits. An interview may be required.
- Number of Credits: 125-131