University of Technology, Jamaica - Master of Science in Mathematics Teaching
The Course of Study is designed to increase and improve the population of Mathematics teachers capable of teaching Mathematics at the primary, secondary, and tertiary levels in the education system. The course is geared towards preparing the graduates to be Mathematics teachers and trainers, facilitators for professional development programmes, as well as for other leadership roles in various educational institutions.
Additionally, the course of study will prepare teachers to adapt the Mathematics curriculum to their classroom context. This will ultimately assist the country in improving the performance of students in Mathematics at all levels. The course is 18 months in duration, organised on a part-time basis over an academic year consisting of approximately (5 semesters including summer).
- Listing ID: 4648
- Institution Category: Universities
- Institution Type: Public
- Field of Study: Mathematics & Mathematics Education
- Awarding Body: University of Technology, Jamaica
- Qualification Level:
- Education Sector: Higher Education
- ISCED Code: 01 Education- 011 Education- 0114 Teacher Training with Subject Specialization
- Qualification Developer: School of Mathematics & Statistics, University of Technology
- Quality Assurance Body: University Council of Jamaica (UCJ)
Applicants must satisfy at least one of the following qualifications:
Direct Entry requirement
I. BEd or BSc in Mathematics and Education. Must have done at least 60 credits of mathematics.
Indirect Entry requirement—Requiring Qualifying Courses
II. A first degree in mathematics, where the candidate did not have the Diploma in Education/Teaching. ( In this case, the candidate would be required to take the foundation courses in Education)
- Number of Credits: 36