University of Technology, Jamaica - Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Education
This course of study is designed to increase the population of mathematics teachers capable of teaching mathematics at the primary and secondary school system. This will ultimately assist the country in improving the performance of students in mathematics at all levels.
The curriculum will equip the graduates with in-depth knowledge of mathematics as well as provide the specific techniques, skills and teaching methods necessary for them to become effective educators for the delivery of the content.
Upon completion of the course of study, the graduates should be able to:
- Teach the mathematics curriculum at the primary and secondary levels.
- Apply Mathematics to real life and to aid in solving real life problems.
- Design and carry out research in mathematics and on issues related to education
- Demonstrate effective leadership and management skills at the primary and secondary levels of the education system.
- Apply technology to the teaching and learning process.
The course of study generally accepts applicants for admission in August of each year but based on their interest and application numbers, a January start date may be considered. The course has a duration of 4 years (consisting of 8 semesters) on a full time basis. Each academic year consists of 2 semesters lasting for a duration of 30 weeks. In semester 8 students will venture on a teaching practicum exercise in a secondary school for the entire semester, students will not do other modules at this time. Students will also conduct their integrative study (action research) at this time.
- Listing ID: 4642
- Institution Category: Universities
- Institution Type: Public
- Field of Study: Mathematics and Mathematics Education
- Awarding Body: University of Technology, Jamaica
- Qualification Level:
- Education Sector: Higher Education
- ISCED Code: 01 Education- 011 Education- 0114 Teacher Training with Subject Specialization
- Qualification Developer: School of Mathematics & Statistics, University of Technology
- Quality Assurance Body: University Council of Jamaica (UCJ)
Applicants must satisfy at least one of the following qualifications:
Normal Entry Requirements
Five CSEC subjects at General Proficiency including English Language, Mathematics, and three others. or any equivalent qualification.
Applicants must receive a grade 1 or 2 in CSEC Mathematics or equivalent. Students with CAPE or equivalent qualification may receive exemptions based on the evaluation of their records
Candidates with other types of academic qualifications will be evaluated in accordance with the University’s regulations governing academic equivalence. Persons seeking advanced placement will need to present appropriate documents in order to obtain exemptions. Entry through a Prior Learning Assessment route is available to persons with experience in the appropriate subject areas.
- Number of Credits: 135