University of Technology, Jamaica - Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Education
This course of study is designed to increase the population of mathematics teachers capable of teaching mathematics at the primary and secondary school system. This will ultimately assist the country in improving the performance of students in mathematics at all levels.
The curriculum will equip the graduates with in-depth knowledge of mathematics as well as provide the specific techniques, skills and teaching methods necessary for them to become effective educators for the delivery of the content.
Upon completion of the course of study, the graduates should be able to:
- Teach the mathematics curriculum at the primary and secondary levels.
- Apply Mathematics to real life and to aid in solving real life problems.
- Design and carry out research in mathematics and on issues related to education
- Demonstrate effective leadership and management skills at the primary and secondary levels of the education system.
- Apply technology to the teaching and learning process.
The course of study generally accepts applicants for admission in August of each year but based on their interest and application numbers, a January start date may be considered. The course has a duration of 4 years (consisting of 8 semesters) on a full time basis. Each academic year consists of 2 semesters lasting for a duration of 30 weeks. In semester 8 students will venture on a teaching practicum exercise in a secondary school for the entire semester, students will not do other modules at this time. Students will also conduct their integrative study (action research) at this time.